Home Remedies For Nasal Congestion
What is causing my nasal congestion?
Nasal congestion occurs when the nasal passages are inflamed or irritated by some sort of substance. Once irritated, the nasal passages swell and cause congestion, or the “Stuffy nose feeling.” Some of the common causes of congestion are colds, sinus infections, allergies, and some other more serious conditions. If you are experiencing light congestion you may decide to try some home remedies rather than seeing an ENT specialist.
What are some home remedies for nasal congestion?
Some of the effective home remedy options are:
- Drink more fluids - drinking fluids can help to move mucus out and relieve a little pressure. It also helps to be hydrated because when your body is dehydrated it may not function properly
- Use a humidifier - humidifiers can help to break up small blockages in the nasal passage as well as, reduce swelling.
- Use a neti pot - a neti pot can also be an effective tool when it comes to breaking up small blockages in the nasal passage. Although, you must be careful and read the directions thoroughly before using one.
- Get in a hot shower - taking a hot shower provides relief the same way a humidifier does. It moistens the air and helps to break up small blockages in the nasal passage but it may not provide relief for as long as the humidifier will.
- Take a decongestant - decongestants can be an effective remedy when used properly. Talk to your doctor to find out which one is the best for you and make sure not to take a decongestant longer than a few days.
Do home remedies for nasal congestion always work?
In short, no, home remedies don’t always provide relief and they definitely won't get to the root cause of the problem. If you want to get to the root of your nasal congestion issues make sure to schedule an appointment today with Capitol Breathe Free. We can determine the cause of your issue and come up with a treatment plan that is right for you.