What is Otolaryngology?
Otolaryngology is an abbreviation for otorhinolaryngology which is taken from the Greek words for ear (oto), nose (rhino) and throat (larynx). The study of otolaryngology has expanded over the years and now is considered a regional specialty including structures of the head and neck. 1 Otolaryngologists are also known as ENT specialists as a shortened version of Ears Nose & Throat.
- Ears - The treatment of hearing disorders is unique to otolaryngologists. Among the issues treated are diseases and infections of the ear structures, Eustachian tube problems, congenital deformities, and hearing loss from a variety of sources.
- Nose - Disorders of the nose contribute to breathing problems and result from structural issues within the nasal cavity, inflammation, and infection of the sinuses due to allergies and exposure to irritants, and associated disorders of the ears, mouth, throat, head, and neck.
- Throat - The diagnosis and treatment of disorders of areas in the throat include the tongue, throat tissues, larynx, and esophagus. They include issues with vocalizing and swallowing.
- Head & Neck - Diseases and disorders affecting the face, head, and neck that often are treated by otolaryngologists include infectious processes, traumas, deformities, and tumors.
our ent services
The special areas of ENT expertise that we provide at Capitol Breathe Free Sinus & Allergy Centers focus on
- Allergy - diagnosis, treatment, and maintenance
- Laryngology - diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the throat
- Otology/neurotology – diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the ear, including nerve pathway disorders affecting hearing and balance
- Rhinology - diagnosis, treatment, and management of disorders of the nose and sinuses
ClariFix® for Chronic Rhinitis
If you suffer from chronic rhinitis and have exhausted other treatments, ClariFix® may be right for you. ClariFix® treats chronic rhinitis by using a cryotherapy balloon endoscopically to freeze your inflamed nasal tissue and underlying nerves. This thirty-minute, in-office procedure can provide you with long-term chronic rhinitis relief quickly.
VIVAER® for Nasal Airway Obstruction
Does your nasal airway constantly feel congested or blocked? You may have nasal airway obstruction which makes it difficult to breathe throughout your day and while you sleep. VIVAER® is a minimally invasive, in-office procedure that uses radiofrequency to reshape your nasal valve area gently and permanently. Patients notice an immediate improvement and long-lasting results.
We offer you the best patient experience in Ear Nose & Throat care available in the DC Metro area.
Contact us and find out how easy it is to schedule your appointment.