What is Otolaryngology?
Otolaryngology is actually an abbreviation for otorhinolaryngology which is taken from the Greek words for ear (oto), nose (rhino) and throat (larynx). The study of otolaryngology has expanded over the years and now is considered a regional specialty including structures of the head and neck. 1 Otolaryngologists are also known as ENT specialists as a shortened version of Ears Nose & Throat.
- Ears - The treatment of hearing disorders is unique to otolaryngologists. Among the issues treated are diseases and infections of the ear structures, Eustachian tube problems, congenital deformities and hearing loss from a variety of sources.
- Nose - Disorders of the nose contribute to breathing problems and result from structural issues within the nasal cavity, inflammation and infection of the sinuses due to allergies and exposure to irritants, and associated disorders of the ears, mouth, throat, head and neck.
- Throat - The diagnosis and treatment of disorders of areas in the throat include the tongue, throat tissues, larynx and esophagus. They include issues with vocalizing and swallowing.
- Head & Neck - Diseases and disorders affecting the face, head and neck that often are treated by otolaryngologists include infectious processes, traumas, deformities and tumors.
our ent services
The special areas of ENT expertise which we provide at Capitol Breathe Free Sinus & Allergy Centers focus on
- Allergy - diagnosis, treatment, and maintenance
- Laryngology - diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the throat
- Otology/neurotology – diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the ear, including nerve pathway disorders affecting hearing and balance
- Rhinology - diagnosis, treatment and management of disorders of the nose and sinuses
- Injection Snoreplasty - Our specially trained Ear, Nose and Throat doctors can provide a complete evaluation, consultation and recommend treatment to help you achieve quality sleep.
We offer you the best patient experience in Ear Nose & Throat care available in the DC Metro area.
Contact us and find out how easy it is to schedule your appointment.