Sinus Infections: Relief Is Possible
Millions of patients are impacted by sinus infections every year. We spend billions every year trying to treat our symptoms with over-the-counter and prescription medications. People who suffer from sinus infections lose valuable time away from work, friends, and family. They fight symptoms all year with no end in sight but you no longer have to suffer. Cures for sinusitis are out there, they are safe, and they are affordable.
Sinusitis: What is it?
Your sinus cavities are the air-filled spaces around your nose and eyes that help keep your body healthy by producing mucus. The mucus helps by moisturizing and filtering the air you breathe. This helps with your breathing and your vocal tone. The mucus also helps to keep you healthy by regularly draining to keep out dust, germs, and other bacteria.
Sinusitis occurs when the body responds to a substance, such as bacteria or a virus, by swelling the sinus cavities. The body swells the sinus cavities to increase mucus production but this keeps the mucus from draining. Once the mucus gets trapped in the sinus cavity an infection begins to grow and this is what causes sinusitis. People who suffer from allergies are normally more likely to also suffer from sinusitis.
Sinusitis symptoms are often mistaken as a bad cold but some of the more common sinusitis symptoms include:
- Postnasal drip - when mucus runs down the back of the throat
- Abnormal nasal discharge - mucus discharge that is yellow or green in color
- Congestion - the feeling of being stuffed up
- Facial pain - pain in the teeth, around the eyes, around the nose, and headaches
- Other - tiredness, bad breath, fever
Patients often have different symptoms depending on their situation. Sinusitis can interrupt daily life and impact your overall health. It is important to see a qualified ENT specialist to determine the best treatment for your symptoms.
What are some Sinusitis treatment options?
Home remedies for sinus infections
If you don’t suffer from sinus infections that often or you are experiencing a mild case you may want to look for home remedies. Some home remedies that can help with inflammation are:
- Drink more water - When the body is dehydrated it may not function properly
- Use vapor or mist - Moisture may help to break up small blockages in the nasal passages
- Use a sinus rinse or neti pot - In some cases these sinus rinses may help to break up blockages and clean the sinuses but, it is very important to take care and follow all of the directions carefully.
Find more home remedies.
Medication treatment for sinus infections
- Antibiotics - The body can heal itself of a sinus infection most of the time but when it comes to a bacterial sinus infection antibiotics are the first line of defense. Antibiotics will not help viral or fungal infections.
- Nasal Spray - Nasal decongestants - using nasal decongestants can help to reduce swelling so that the sinuses can drain. Nasal decongestants may provide quick relief but should not be used for more than a couple of days.
- Nasal corticosteroid - corticosteroids can be used long-term, unlike decongestants. They can also be used to reduce swelling in order to prevent future infections.
- Antihistamines and OTC Medication - Antihistamines and other OTC allergy medications can help to reduce allergic reactions that would otherwise result in the swelling that leads to sinus infections. By reducing the allergic reactions your body will also be able to fight off a current sinus infection more effectively.
When deciding on which OTC medication is right for you it is best to consult a physician. Some OTCs can have unnecessary ingredients that may impact other health conditions like high blood pressure.
If you suffer from long-lasting or chronic infections, sinus surgery may be an option for you. Surgery is used to help fix physical defects that keep other treatments from working. Including:
- Nasal Polyps
- Deviated Septum
- Closed Passages
Balloon Sinuplasty: Get to the root of the problem without surgery
Balloon sinuplasty is a modern in-office procedure that can help you avoid surgery. There is little risk for complications and the procedure shows immediate results. The procedure involves inserting a small balloon into the nasal passages, inflating it, and then cleaning out the infection. You will be able to breathe again as soon as the procedure is over.
Stop Suffering From Painful Sinus Infections
If you are suffering from sinus infections, schedule an appointment with us today. At Capitol Breathe Free we can determine the causes of your problem and create a treatment plan unique to you.